Friday, February 19, 2010

"I'm From Driftwood. . ."


I'm From Driftwood
www.ImFromDriftwood.com is a compilation of true stories by gay people from all over, in hopes of helping gay youth feel not so alone.

Every marker represents a story by a gay author who is from that location.

If you want to share your story, please visit www.ImFromDriftwood.com. You never know who needs to hear your story.
I'm From Driftwood, TX.
by nathan manske For my 13th birthday, in 1993, I wanted Uncanny X-Men #1. It was published in 1963 and was worth, at the time, about $3,400.00. But I didn’t care about the value. I loved the X-Men. C...
by nathan manske

For my 13th birthday, in 1993, I wanted Uncanny X-Men #1. It was published in 1963 and was worth, at the time, about $3,400.00. But I didn’t care about the value. I loved the X-Men.

Continue Reading

I'm From Summit, NJ
by jake sakowski I was 19 years old when I finally gathered the courage to dump everything on my parents at once. I had a feeling they would either send me to Christian Camp or accept me as best they ...

by jake sakowski

I was 19 years old when I finally gathered the courage to dump everything on my parents at once. I had a feeling they would either send me to Christian Camp or accept me as best they could.

Continue Reading

I'm From Garland, TX.
by marquise lee I met the first guy I ever dated on the Internet, of course, where we had a brief dialog before we decided to physically meet. We knew very little about one another other than that whi...
by marquise lee

I met the first guy I ever dated on the Internet, of course, where we had a brief dialog before we decided to physically meet. We knew very little about one another other than that which was posted to our profiles or divulged in our short email correspondences.

Continue Reading

I'm From Elgin, TX.
by peter hackman Being gay in a small town isn’t glamorous (think Slingblade), which is why I don’t live in one anymore. If you’ve ever heard of Elgin - and I don’t blame you if you haven’t - you may ...
by peter hackman

Being gay in a small town isn’t glamorous (think Slingblade), which is why I don’t live in one anymore. If you’ve ever heard of Elgin - and I don’t blame you if you haven’t - you may have heard that it’s the Sausage Capital of Texas.

Continue Reading
I'm From Queens, NY.
by damien butvick I was so nervous as I dialed my parents’ number that I could hear my own pulse. Part of my hesitance to tell them lay in the fact that my father had a heart attack in May of the prev...
by damien butvick

I was so nervous as I dialed my parents’ number that I could hear my own pulse. Part of my hesitance to tell them lay in the fact that my father had a heart attack in May of the previous year and I was afraid that the news would surprise or upset him so much that he would have another cardiac episode.

Continue Reading


I'm From Monterey, CA
by stuart perkins I was cracked. Torn down. Torn up. It had everything to do with a recent break-up. My first really. The first time I could actually say that I had a boyfriend and that using “we” whe...
by stuart perkins

I was cracked. Torn down. Torn up. It had everything to do with a recent break-up. My first really. The first time I could actually say that I had a boyfriend and that using “we” when referring to him and me was no longer making any sense. I had just turned 40 and was facing a hundred mutinies of confidence.

Continue Reading
I'm From Tucson, AZ.
by sean mackey When I was 17 years old I fell in love at first sight. It’s a difficult sensation to explain, and you know when people hear you say it they think it’s just a case of lust, because how c...
by sean mackey

When I was 17 years old I fell in love at first sight. It’s a difficult sensation to explain, and you know when people hear you say it they think it’s just a case of lust, because how could you love someone you don’t know?

Continue Reading

I'm From Clear Lake, TX.
by rafi mittlefehldt I’m from Clear Lake. But my dog is from Leander. I was able to adopt her, I’m pretty sure, only because I’m gay — something I still have mixed feelings about. Continue Reading
by rafi mittlefehldt

I’m from Clear Lake. But my dog is from Leander. I was able to adopt her, I’m pretty sure, only because I’m gay — something I still have mixed feelings about.

Continue Reading


I'm From Glasgow, KY.
by j.r. mortimer I’m staring into the laundry basket wishing there were more clothes to fold. You’re in the living room with your feet on the ottoman, watching a documentary. You don’t know about the ...
by j.r. mortimer

I’m staring into the laundry basket wishing there were more clothes to fold. You’re in the living room with your feet on the ottoman, watching a documentary. You don’t know about the plane ticket to Kentucky or that my friends are on stand-by to help me if I need it.

Continue Reading
I'm From Kingsport, TN.
by andrew reynolds Even though it was really 1987, it was still the 1960s in the heart of our teacher, Mr. A. That’s why Mr. A had us arrange our chairs in a semi circle in front of the hot seat. Cont...
by andrew reynolds

Even though it was really 1987, it was still the 1960s in the heart of our teacher, Mr. A. That’s why Mr. A had us arrange our chairs in a semi circle in front of the hot seat.

Continue Reading
I'm From Spring, TX.
by matt r. I was in Sadr City looking for something to cover up the body of a fallen Soldier. He had died in a bombing and I could see his blood staining the ground below the stretcher he lay on. Cont...
by matt r.

I was in Sadr City looking for something to cover up the body of a fallen Soldier. He had died in a bombing and I could see his blood staining the ground below the stretcher he lay on.

Continue Reading

I'm From San Francisco, CA.
by kate w. I asked my mother why the mechanism of pregnancy mattered. She confidently proclaimed, “you’ll understand when you get older.” Continue Reading
by kate w.

I asked my mother why the mechanism of pregnancy mattered. She confidently proclaimed, “you’ll understand when you get older.”

Continue Reading
I'm From Canterbury, Kent, England
by lindsey “Two cocktails for £6” sounds like a good deal, and it is. But when you don’t have cash to burn and are already slightly tipsy, it so isn’t. The music is throbbing, you’re being pushed and ...
by lindsey

“Two cocktails for £6” sounds like a good deal, and it is. But when you don’t have cash to burn and are already slightly tipsy, it so isn’t. The music is throbbing, you’re being pushed and shoved, you’re struggling to get the attention of any of the bar staff...

Continue Reading

I'm From Canberra, Australia.
by will In the confectionary aisle, they were walking together, hand in hand. They didn’t notice me at first, and ambled further, not really paying attention to the produce.Continue Reading
by will

In the confectionary aisle, they were walking together, hand in hand. They didn’t notice me at first, and ambled further, not really paying attention to the produce.

Continue Reading
I'm From Bandung, West Java, Indonesia.
Growing up gay in a country with a Muslim majority like Indonesia is like the Justice League heroes hiding their identities! Continue Reading
Growing up gay in a country with a Muslim majority like Indonesia is like the Justice League heroes hiding their identities!

Continue Reading
I'm From Swansea, Wales, UK.
by jas strong I didn’t mean to do it, but I did, and here I am. How did I get here? I’ve always been gay. I’ve known it since I was five years old.Continue Reading
by jas strong

I didn’t mean to do it, but I did, and here I am. How did I get here?

I’ve always been gay. I’ve known it since I was five years old.

Continue Reading

I'm From Harlingen, TX.
by colin gaul Age 11: My parents had just bought a new house. It was in a fancy neighborhood. It was on a big corner lot and all the neighbors were doctors or business owners, even the mayor lived dow...
by colin gaul

Age 11:

My parents had just bought a new house. It was in a fancy neighborhood. It was on a big corner lot and all the neighbors were doctors or business owners, even the mayor lived down the block!

Continue Reading


I'm From San Diego, CA.
by andrew I have three fears in my life. First, I am scared of many insects, but spiders especially. Tiny or giant - they all scare me. I try not to let it show when I encounter one, but I will admit ...
by andrew

I have three fears in my life.

First, I am scared of many insects, but spiders especially. Tiny or giant - they all scare me. I try not to let it show when I encounter one, but I will admit to screaming like a little girl when I come upon one in the bathroom.

Continue Reading

I'm From Edgefield, SC.

No comments: