Tuesday, March 23, 2010

DONUTS and HOLES

Quotes & Quips - Transsiberian

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 04:11 AM PDT

GAYTWOGETHER.COM - Quotes & Quips "No matter what your dream in life, no matter what your goal, keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole.” - Transsiberian (Movie - 2008)



~~~~~ borrowed from MICHAEL at GAYTWOGETHER.COM


Not a new saying. . . .but I liked it, again, this morning.

I learned again: DO NOT JUDGE !

I made a snap judgment about someone's behaviour in an online conversation. . . .of course, without knowing what was really going on behind the scenes. I should know better: making judgments about others on the internet is the worst possible scenario, especially about someone I love. Think what I may think, however I am not the Know-All and See-All, by any means.

Then later on he told me what was going on here and now with him, etc., and I realized just how wrong I was. . . .and am! What I did learn again is that the judgment I made reveals to me my own insecurity and the judgment I have of myself in this situation.

I need to keep my eyes on this wonderful "donut" and not on the gaping holes in my own personality and self-esteem. I wish it hadn't happened but at least I kept it to myself and learned again more about myself.

So it is not a wasted morning. . . .I've enjoyed the leisure to "think my own thoughts and feel my own feelings."

I hope ALL of you are having a good day. . .feeling happy, joyous and free.

~~~ justin

5 comments:

Jim said...

Yes, judgements are a tough
one. I catch myself making them from time to time. Most of the time I don't have a complete picture of the situation or am missing a few facts. Yeah, judging can be an easy way out.
Great analogy with the doughnut.

J said...

The nature of the business is such that people on the net have to keep secrets to avoid being burned, and the end result is that sometimes only the top 10 per cent of the iceberg is revealed to the reader. If you didn't reach your own conclusions you wouldn't have a brain, but its always best to add a few qualifiers, such as "I could be wrong", or "one possible explanation is that ". It's not much, but it is the best defense we have to avoid permanent estrangement.

Gary Kelly said...

I agree with J. When we see things from our own perspective, we often ignore many other perspectives of which we are unaware.

Ya know, if you send a dozen photographers into the same location, they'll all come back with different images. Hehe.

That's life, kiddo.

GreginAdelaide said...

When is a judgment a conclusion and when is not?

I tend to steer clear of judgements and try and reach conclusions. The word conclusion, for me, usually implies a more careful examination of the facts, something that takes a little more time pehaps?

Snap judgements, when you don't need to make them on the run are generally not a good thing. I reckon it is better to avoid the 'snap' and take the time to get the whole picture.

Develop a pride in not being wrong, that will lead you to better conclusions through more careful and intelligent consideration.

That does not mean be afraid to reach a conclusion of course!

Whatever, it works for me.
Greg-with-zen in Adelaide

JustinO'Shea said...

Greg-with-zen in Adelaide. . . How is Zen these days? Still hanging in there? LOL