Monday, November 19, 2012

Gary sent this . . thanks!

Change.org
My public high school threatened to suspend 20 students for wearing pro-gay t-shirts. Tell my school to stop discriminating and allow students to create a Gay-Straight Alliance.
Sign My Petition
Art -
The students at my high school need your help. I'm a 16-year-old junior at Celina High School -- a public high school in northwest Ohio. We're trying to make our school more accepting and safe for gay students, but the administration won't let us.
Recently, 20 students tried to fight homophobia by wearing homemade t-shirts to school that said things like "Straight but Supportive" and "I Support [Rainbow]."Our Vice Principal told students that they had to stop wearing the shirts or face suspension.
I'm straight, but I think it's wrong that my school is discriminating against gay students and suppressing students' rights to express our opinions.
We all know that anti-gay bullying is a serious problem. In the past few years, we have seen so many kids tragically take their own lives because they were bullied for being gay or perceived to be gay.
I think it's crazy that at my school, it's not the kids doing the bullying. It's the adults who are supposed to be our leaders and role models.
Well I'm not going to take it anymore. Other kids have gotten their schools to allow Gay-Straight Alliances after they started petitions on Change.org -- I know that if enough people sign my petition, my school administrators will cease their shameful behavior and create an environment that is supportive for all students, not just straight ones.
Thank you,
Erick Warner
Celina, OH

2 comments:

radicaljoe7@gmail.com said...

Justin and Gary, I am proud to sign
and thank you for the Opportunity.
Ohio needs a small bit of sense in
to their wee brains.

Gary Kelly said...

I was a bit suspicious of young Erick's true motive at first... hopping on the gay-issues bandwagon to draw attention to himself. But I've changed my mind. One doesn't need to be the victim of a cause to support it.

So I guess I'll have to find something else to be grumpy and cynical about.